Monday, August 16, 2010

Anniversaries

Last week we celebrated our 4 year wedding anniversary. We didn't do a whole lot of celebrating. We pushed our car several blocks in 95 degree heat when it broke down on the way to the service center and attended a class at the hospital where I'm going to deliver. So, the actual anniversary was kind of lame. But my fabulous husband had gotten us tickets to Symphony on the Prairie for this weekend.

I've been a Prairie Home Companion fan pretty much as far back as I can remember. For those of you who aren't familiar, PHC is a good old-fashioned radio show that airs every Saturday night on NPR. It's about an imaginary town in Minnesota and the show includes skits, crazy sound effects, musical preformances and pretend commercials. I've always wanted to go to a broadcast, and this one out at Connor Prairie coincided so nicely with our anniversary.

It was a fantastic program! Thousands of people with picnic baskets and camp chairs being serenaded by Garrison Keilor. We got seats in the shade and nice breeze kicked up to relieve us of this horrible heat. We packed a cooler of IBC rootbeer and pulled pork sandwiches and it was a perfect two and a half hours, and one of my favorite things Bryce and I have ever done together. Thanks Love!

Today is an anniversary of a not-so-fun kind. One year ago today I miscarried at 10 weeks pregnant and it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. Not physically; it didn't hurt much at all. But it was terribly taxing emotionally and it tooks months before I even felt like my normal self again or could focus on anything. In fact, it pretty much took until January when I found out I was pregnant again.

I still feel sad about that baby I lost and it breaks my heart to think I'd have a 5-month old today, but things always work out in the end. I'm so grateful that in just about another month we'lll be having our baby girl and for a healthy, mostly comfortable pregnancy. I can't wait to meet her!

5 comments:

EPVCCorier said...

What a wonderful anniversary. I'm so sorry for the loss of your first baby, it is so hard to think about what might have been. what a wonderful blessing your soon to be daughter is.

Candace said...

I grew up on PHC, too!! How fun you guys got to see it!

I makes me so sad to think about the pain you went though with the miscarraige. And when you're in the middle of that kind of pain it is SO hard to tell people about it. It's easier to just withdraw. I can relate, in a way. I can talk about it with no problem after I'm past it but it is SO difficult to talk about when you're in the middle of it, when you need the MOST support! I'm trying to be better about talking about things and being sensitive to and noticing when others are hurting. I'm sorry I missed that with you.

Your little girl will be here so soon and life as you know it will change forever! For both the good and bad....but thankfully, the good totally outweighs any bad. Can't wait to meet little Daphne!

Kim said...

So glad you are happy. I was so sad for you when you told me that...but I am SO glad to told me. I don't know if I was helpful, but I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to tell me!!! Is it crazy that it has been a whole year since all of that????

Jenalee said...

Candace, I think you're great at being sensitive to other poeple's feelings. I'm trying to be better about opening up and sharing when I need it most too.

Kim, It definitely helped that you knew. It made a huge difference to just be able to tell someone!

Lindsey said...

sounds like a super fun anniversary date!

I'm soo excited to meet your little girl and get all our babies together here soon.

I'm also so glad that you are past that hurdle with the miscarriage.. I could always tell something was up and not quite right but didn't know exactly how to help or what was going on. I'm glad you were able to lean on a few people for support though.