Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Big Parade

Today I had one of those surreal experiences that typically only happens in dreams or movies. I was walking my dogs down Mass Ave, glancing to the side to catch the tail end of two street performers juggling fire and all of a sudden I found myself in the middle of a parade! It wasn't a real parade exactly, it was a radical-indie-punk marching band decked out from head to heel in green and black and sequence heading back to their giant green veggie-fueled bus. As we (Me, my dogs and 30-odd traveling musicians) waited for the crossing signal, the band started to play something between a funeral dirge and a zydeco melody.

For the next block and a half I walked between a trumpet and and a trombone and thought about how much fun it would be to have an orchestra follow me everywhere. The whole encounter kind of felt like the scene from the movie Enchanted when Giselle and Robert are in the park and everyone joins in singing. Only it was these people...

Very Surreal.

No comments: